Thursday, November 18, 2010

On patriotic symbols...

We learned about propaganda today, and watched a bunch of campaign ads.
(If you never caught the Demon Sheep ad...I suggest you check it out. Good for a big wtf.)

Anyway, one of the propaganda techniques we covered was the use of patriotic symbols. Sarah Palin's PAC ad is thoroughly doused in American flags, for instance. We asked what other patriotic symbols they could think of. One of my favorite kids took that as a springboard for a little tangent about eagles:

"Yeah, we got them symbols man like, ain't that why we believe in the eagle? Man, you don' wanna fuck with an eagle. I'm tellin you man, I seen one of them fuckin' eagles, he walkin right up behind me and he was bigger than a dog, man! That fuckin' bird was fidna pick me up! That how big it was! Man, and I'm afraid of heights!"

School-appropriate language? Nope. Do we have bigger battles to fight? Yup. Couldn't not laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment