Sunday, November 14, 2010

Brown-sugar baked pears

I'm always overwhelmed by the 38 kinds of pears you can buy, so this week I bought one Bosc pear and one Bartlett pear and decided to actually compare them instead of just eating one and thinking, 'Oh, that was alright' and then the next time I go to buy them forgetting what kind I bought the last time. So, last week I baked a Bartlett pear with a brown-sugar/maple syrup/butter glaze. Pretty good, but overly sweet. I thought I'd try again with the Bosc pear. Recipe worked better, but the Bartlett pear I think is better for baking than the Bosc.

This was my breakfast yesterday:

Fry them in butter!!! Once they were browned on the open side, I dumped brown sugar into the butter, melted it all around, spooned it over the pears, and threw them in the oven for 20 minutes. I ate them with cottage cheese, although some kind of biscuit or something would have been better to soak up the syrup. Oh, and check out how resourceful I am. I don't have a melonballer but found that a teaspoon measuring spoon works great for scooping out the cores. Ha!

2 comments:

  1. coming up next...a post about trout! caught off the coast of NC, stuck in a ziploc, and fried in my skillet. mmm.

    ReplyDelete