Sunday, November 14, 2010

I guess when you ask...

So I'd been feeling kind of church-less and un-rooted this week. I finally (yeah, should have done this sooner) prayed and asked God to find me the perfect church. I'd been going to this one for maybe two months or so, and it just hadn't felt permanent yet. I'd emailed someone about joining a small group and hadn't heard back, and I felt like everyone I met on Sunday disappeared the next Sunday to be replaced with more people whose names I wouldn't remember and whose faces I wouldn't recognize next week. So, I prayed. And hey, guess what happens when you actually DO that?

The day after I prayed I woke up and the guy had emailed me back about small group - they're just getting started but hope to start meeting this week or the next.

Then I find out that a friend from college who recently moved out of Charlotte went to Hope (this church) for three years and loved it and the people there. And he knows the guy with the small group and tells me he and his wife are lovely people.

Then I went to Hope this morning. The sermon was on this one idea that God has been pounding me with all week. The pastor reads the EXACT scripture that has kept popping into my head all week (Luke 12: 31). There's a baptism, and the dad reads this unbelievably beautiful "blessing" thing for his daughter that's, AGAIN, about the same idea. (And man, I'm a weeper when it comes to dads reading beautiful blessing things to their little baby daughters - sheesh.)

Then we sing two of my favorite songs at the end of the service (How Great is our God, and Be Thou My Vision).

And then the couple sitting behind me invites me to lunch with two more of their friends from the church. And they're just cool as can be and so friendly and legit, not friendly in a fake-churchy way.

Okay, thanks God, I get it. Church = found.

No comments:

Post a Comment