Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Point B

After starting my move at the end of April, I've finally made it to my new home. So far all I've really seen of Charlotte is the U-Haul storage facility, Wal-Mart, Food Lion and Panera, but psh, I've got time to see the city. What I'm really excited about is my new apartment. After living in dorms in Mississippi for five weeks, anything resembling a real home would be incredibly welcome, but my place here is absolutely fantastic and I love it. I loved my Chicago apartment, and loved the big open kitchen (my kitchen here is smaller and galley-style), but this place feels like a real house. It was built circa 1940, and is made out of real wood, and plasdter, and hardwood, like they don't build apartments out of anymore. No wallboard, no laminate "wood"....also no washer/dryer, but I have located a nearby laundromat and am being optimistic about that little adventure. My friend Sarah came over yesterday and helped me unpack (!!!) but I'm still surrounded by boxes and can't find my shower curtain. When my Dad drives down to move Hannah back into college, he's going to bring me some furniture from home my Mom's trying to clear out of the house. So until then, I'm without a dining room table and some other items, but whatever. I slept better last night than I have in two months...because I have my bed back! I have my tea kettle back! I have my books back! I have my couch and my coffee table back! I have my art supplies back! I've got a lot more unpacking today, and am going to go help Sarah buy a car this afternoon, but people have been asking for photos so here they are. I still have to write about my last week at school, about my amazing summer school students, and about the letter that my one student Faith wrote me which made things suddenly very worth it. But...another day, another entry. For now, enjoy some shots of my apartment! Once it's all decorated and tidied up, I will have to post some "after" photos. Take these as "before":
This first one is taken from where you walk into the apartment. Big double windows facing the street are to the right. Arched doorway goes to the dining room and kitchen, other doorway goes to the bedrooms and the bathroom.
Back hallway with the bathroom and bedrooms (one on either side of the bathroom).
My awesome retro bathroom. That subway tile looks strangely familiar...
My bedroom. Two windows, tiny little closet, and just enough space for me to put my rug down. I love it. Those radiators aren't functional any more, but they left them in the building because they look bad ass. There's a big one in the living room that will make the perfect shelf for plants.
My first dining room! Ha! The door leads out to my screen porch, which is just big enough for a couple chairs and a little table. (Or, for now, a kitchen chair and a cardboard box.) You go into the dining room and the kitchen is on your left.
Little galley kitchen, backdoor to a screened-in mud room/storage area/place where I can put my new worm composting that I want to start soon. I was standing in front of the walk-in pantry when I took the picture. There's a ton of cabinet space, but only one drawer in the entire kitchen. Where did people in the 1940s keep their silverware??

Okay folks, that's all! I'm stealing some internet from a neighbor, but it's spotty. Once I get my own I'll be posting more. I've got no commitments until next Wednesday, when TFA's "Round Zero" professional development/planning for the school year gets started. My plans include seeing Jon Furr in a play, hiking in some mountains, seeing what's to do uptown (in Charlotte, downtown is called "uptown" - it's very confusing), checking out another church Sunday, and spending as little money as possible because we don't get paid until September!

But man, I'm glad to finally be here.

No comments:

Post a Comment