Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Dear Charlotte's city planners: Seriously?

I got back from the Marriott and TFA stuff by 4:00 today, so I had some time to run to the post office, make dinner, write some emails, and then I thought I'd go for a run. I'm not what you call "in shape" so I figured I'd go for 2 miles, 20+ minutes, easy peasy. This was the route I had in mind when I left the apartment. (I live by the "D".)

Not quite. Charlotte has the most confusing street layout I have ever seen. Roads change names 3 or 4 times within a couple miles, they zig zag, connect in bizarre intersections, and half of them are named 'Queens.' You can stand at what, to all appearances, is the intersection of Queens and Queens. And then Queens turns into Kings, which makes total sense. This is the route I wound up taking:
I have circled for you all the pieces of road that are called Queens. Every time I thought "Oh! This is Queens, I know where I am"...surprise!! It's the wrong piece of Queens and it actually just changed its name to Morehead. 20 minutes of pleasant jogging turned into 20 minutes of pleasant jogging followed by 30 minutes of incredibly confused and sweaty walking. Thank you Charlotte, for making the executive decision that I needed a harder workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment