Thursday, March 31, 2011

My Nana's advice on how to not raise birds.


The nest on my porch has been coming together beautifully. I think the builders are wrens, not sparrows. I haven't seen them working on it lately, and there aren't any eggs in it yet, so I'm not sure where exactly they are in the whole continuance of their species process, but I guess only time will tell.

I mentioned to my Nana in an email that I had birds building on my porch. This is my Nana...
Besides being an all around fantastic grandmother and human being, she writes the world's best emails. She replied to my tale of invading birds with one of her own. I can't say I haven't been warned:
About 15 years ago, I had a robin building her nest in one of the wreaths on my front porch. What fun, I thought to watch this whole process from scraggly twigs to darling little chirpies. I could stand in the entrance hall....if I snuck up quietly enough perhaps, and espy momma regurgitating food into their tiny little mouths et cetera. I even posted a sign on one of the poles on the porch directing visitors to the back door so they wouldn't scare the birds!!

I did not foresee.....silly me... that the little tiny birds become as big as full sized robins before they are wont to leave the nest, that they make an awful racket...and more to the point, they make a helluva mess deficating all over the grillwork, the glass, the wreath, the door mat etc.

Then the ornithological genius in the neighborhood explained to me that robins will sometimes bring forth several issue before the summer is spent, so once this crop leaves, I had better take down the wreaths or they will build anew. Soooooo....good luck, Honey Babes


No comments:

Post a Comment