Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Gluten-free Blueberry Muffins

In celebration of my 60th day on my new diet, my fingers decided to be sore this morning with no explanation. Really just my right thumb, but still enough to catch me off guard when I tried to use said thumb to hit snooze at 5am and discovered it wouldn't bend. I didn't eat anything new yesterday, except these really tasty cornmeal/blueberry muffins I'd made the day before (gluten-free!).
I have tested corn a couple times, and am pretty confident it's okay, but I also used some gluten-free Bisquick mix I hadn't tried before, so it's maybe possible something in that threw me off? It's also possible that although my symptoms are pretty much gone, my body still might not be 100% perfect, and little minor flare-ups might have to be okay for now. My hands were fine by the time I got to school, except for a little residual soreness in the one thumb joint, so all in all, hardly a big deal.

And I will put in another plug for the barefoot running. I've been absolutely loving it. I went for a 2 mile run on Sunday after we got a bunch of rain, so I got to run through puddles and mud, which was just SO much more fun than running in shoes. If you wear sneakers and run through puddles, you get squishy wet socks that slosh around for the rest of your run. If you're in your bare feet, you can leave barefooted footprints in the mud and splash as you run. I might have to break down and buy those ridiculous Vibram five-toe foot-condom shoes once it gets to be winter, but for now I can't imagine giving up the feeling of mud and water and grass and asphalt on my feet. I did another two miles yesterday, and cut my time down by a minute without feeling any extra effort (16:30). Running has always been one of those things I had to make myself do because I knew it was good for me. Since I took off my shoes, it's become something I want to do because it feels good.

Here's my recipe for gluten-free muffins that might have made my joints hurt but maybe not (adapted from this one that my aunt sent me - because I couldn't find almond flour). They have the grainy texture of cornbread, but are just sweet enough to be dessert-y.

Blueberry-Cornmeal Muffins (Gluten-free)

4 eggs
1/4 cup water
1 stick melted butter
1 cup Bisquick gluten-free baking mix
1 cup whole-grain corn meal
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
cinnamon (several shakes...a couple teaspoons?)
blueberries (I dumped a bunch in...maybe a cup?)
2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt

Pre-heat your oven to 350. Mix the dries, add the wets. Fold in the blueberries last. Taste it, and add more sweetener (either the sugar or honey) if you want. Batter should be pretty thick. Spatula the batter into a 12-muffin tin - you can fill the muffin cups up almost full because they don't rise too crazy much. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown and a knife inserted into a muffin comes out of the middle clean. Cold pat of butter and a drizzle of honey...

2 comments:

  1. Holy blueberry goodness those look delish. Must make immediately.

    Anyhow, just want to give you the friendly Tay warning of beware of the hookworms and ringworms that tend to develop in said muddy puddles, especially in the rainy spring where ground has a tendency to not get as dry. There's a lot of weird chemicals that get situated in those ponds as well from all the people not being as wholesome and clean-living as you. That said, though, you're right. Mud-sloshing is unrivaled in satisfaction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, hookworms and ringworms sound horrifying. I will splash very quickly and I always wash my feet when I get home. But it is true, there are a lot of gross people out there. The muffins are tasty, but my recommendation, since you CAN eat real flour, is to just use normal flour instead of the cornmeal/Bisquick mix. These were a little grainy - like cornbread with blueberries in it. Next up, though...jalapeno cornbread with cheese in it. Which IS phenomenal (if I can make it work without flour).

    ReplyDelete