Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Westward bound!

Last week I hiked 56 miles at a little over 2 mph. This week I'm driving 2500 miles at 60 mph. If the road trip is anywhere close to as cool as the backpacking trip, I'll be in good shape.

Our departure time was pushed back to tomorrow evening, so we had to make some adjustments to our itinerary. Roswell didn't make the cut, but it was replaced by the Grand Canyon, which I think is a more-than-adequate substitute. I've never seen the Canyon, or anything remotely resembling a desert, or any of that other red-colored landscape I've seen pictures of out west, so I'm really excited. If we get a chance to hike around a little bit, even better.

Just like the last trip, I went out and bought a few new things. Difference being, I went to Anthropologie instead of REI, and the weight of my purchases was not a consideration. It's nice to not have to think about carrying all my stuff. I am a little worried though about feeling really fidgety and lazy sitting in a car for so long. I ran yesterday, and ran again today, and will run again tomorrow before we leave, but I feel like I'm in better shape now than I have been in a while and I know my tendency to eat massive amounts of fast food on car trips.

My arthritis was entirely absent for my hike, and despite splurging on biscuits and white gravy and waffles on the last day, has continued to stay away. I'm hoping this means I can have wheat in small amounts every now and then without causing everything to flare up. Because damn do I love some biscuits. It is a really good feeling to have such a long, solid stretch of feeling like my body can do what I want it to, and that I don't have to worry about what joint will be sore in the morning. That said, I'm willing to deal with a stiff knuckle or two this week in order to enjoy food. I will be eating whatever Route 40 puts in front of me with no regrets.

Ah!! I'm really excited!! I'm going to get to camp in the desert, and see beautiful nature, and swim (well, okay, I use the term loosely) in the Pacific, and eat new food, and see a lot of America I've never seen before! I have a feeling that, just like the AT hike, this is only going to make me want more. Next time I'll just take a different highway, maybe camp along the way... but okay, first things first...Nashville tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Great reading your posts. I hiked with Nick / Seth / Rachel / Grace / Kathy through the Smokies, so it was a nice surprise to see them in your blog. I missed them when my hike was done. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete