Sunday, June 12, 2011

I'm 26, and I have a job (again!)

The school year is over! I write that with an exclamation point of surprise and near disbelief, rather than the exclamation point of relief. And that's a good thing. I ended the year loving my job, loving my kids, and hoping to God that I'd get the chance to do the same job (better) next year. Because there are approximately 389 things I will do better the second time around. I spent the last two weeks administering the end-of-course standardized test (this included giving five read alouds, in which you read, aloud, 100 questions and 400 answer choices) and saying goodbye to kids with "I don't know if I'll be back next year." I'd been reading the Observer religiously, hoping for news on the Board of County Commissioner's budget, and found out they'd be making a decision on my birthday, this past Wednesday. The day after my birthday I found out they'd be restoring a bunch of positions. And then on Friday...I got a contract in my email! The county voted to give the district enough money to bring back many of the jobs they had initially said would be cut. Not everyone got their job back, although the State still has to solidify their budget, but I got mine, and I'm grateful. Well, I don't know yet if I got MY job back, but I got SOME job back. I could be back at West Meck teaching Civics, which is what I really want, but I could be placed at some other school, teaching World History. I don't get any say in it though, so I get to wait and see. We're supposed to get an email this week with our assignments.

But for now, I'm ready for the summer. Tuesday is the last day I have to show up for work. And a week after that I'll be heading out with my friend Jill to hike for a week. Not sure if I'm anywhere near ready for that, but what the hell...I've got a backpack, a sleeping bag, and boots. Figure I'm good to go, right? Day after I get back from that little excursion, me and Sarah set out across the country to California, and then at the end of July it looks like me, the sibs, and our dad are heading down to Parrish, FL to visit my dad's side of the family. I've got a nice little summer planned out, and now that I know I'll have a paycheck come August, I can start to relax and enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment