Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Custom Vans for Portal fans

The shoes I made for my sister were much admired by her friends at college. I was happy just to get the compliments, but a friend of hers asked if I could paint shoes for him, too. Given that I'm also happy to make a couple bucks where I can, I agreed. He wanted me to paint characters from some video game called Portal. I don't play video games, and had never heard of Portal, but evidently one of the characters from this game, the Weighted Companion Cube, is very popular. I googled it to find reference photos, and discovered crocheted versions, costume versions, cakes made to look like it, plush toys, one made out of chain mail, and so on. (I didn't see any shoes though....!) The other character is some kind of robotic guide with a British accent named Wheatley. I don't know. It was all very confusing. But...it doesn't matter if I understand the appeal of this Portal game or not. I just had to put the pictures on the shoes.
I'm very happy with how they turned out. And given my incredible ability to procrastinate any artistic endeavor that might take longer than twenty minutes, it was good to have the accountability of someone paying me for them. Plus, it's always fun to start from nothing and wind up with something that looks cool. Anyone want some shoes?

3 comments:

  1. Those look fantastic. Students at my alma mater are now required to play Portal as a part of a new all-campus course. A professor made an argument that certain video games are of a high enough quality that they should be considered a part of the liberal arts canon (much like certain films, music, etc). Since Portal is a puzzle based game that requires conscious thought (unlike, say, Mario Kart) they thought it was of high enough merit to include in the course. So instead of reading a text for two hours a night, they were required to play a video game.

    Great job on those shoes!

    - Patrick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those. are. AMAZING. Can you make Doctor Who ones????

    ReplyDelete