Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Shrimp (heart) Petroleum

In an antique store in Asheville yesterday, I came across this poster:
After I blinked a couple times, I thought 'Wow, bet they don't have THAT festival anymore.' So, when I got home that afternoon, I googled it. And was wrong. The 2011 Shrimp and Petroleum Festival will be held this September, and claims the title of the "oldest state chartered harvest festival in Louisiana." Besides the bizarreness of the idea of an 'oil harvest,' I just can't quite get my head around the idea of shrimp and oil rigs happily frolicking (pumping?) together in the Gulf like best friends. It's been almost a year since this little event. And I'm pretty sure the little shrimps weren't enjoying their sudden, intimate encounter with their old friend petroleum. Is this some well-known festival that everyone has heard about except for me? Am I the only one who thinks this poster is bizarre and, hindsight being what it is, a bit ominous?

No comments:

Post a Comment