Friday, April 29, 2011

Fire in a can! (and a baby bird update!)


Lookit!! So cute! When you walk in the back door, sometimes you wake them up and they start squeaking and you see their little mouths bobbing and reaching inside the door to the nest. Then mom (or dad) shows up and all is well. I took this photo a couple days ago, and today I looked in and saw their eyes are starting to open, and they're getting little feathers on the tops of their heads. I also did a little research, and discovered that Carolina Wrens may produce two or three batches of babies over a season. So these little guys might only be the first round...guess we'll see!

Apart from bird-watching, I spent a little time this week working on a plan for our Appalachian Trail hike, which was exciting. My friend Matt was staying with me all week, before heading out on his own AT hike, so I'm looking forward to his report to get me even more excited about my and Jill's trip! Matt showed me how to make a camp stove out of a pineapple juice can. We boiled water in my driveway (even with a sudden dousing of rain), and it only took a handful of twiggy sticks, and a chunk of paper bag.
Forty-seven days until I can take a break from working to just worry about living. Ahhh.....can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment