Monday, May 9, 2011

Diet Day 123 - F-ing Pork

I made these for dinner last night. Garlic parmesan pork meatballs. While I've ruled out beef, and ruled in chicken, pork hasn't made itself an obvious 'yes' or 'no' thus far in my continual arthritis-elimination diet experiment. But I'd been 100% symptom-free for 4 or 5 days straight (no intermittent morning knuckle stiffness even!) so I thought now was as good a time as any to re-test pork where I'd get a clear response, or non-response.

I bought a pound of ground pork from Windy Hill at the farmer's market on Saturday, and thought I'd try making them into meatballs. They're really too simple to be called a recipe, but they were AMAZING, so in case you're interested, here's what I did:

Mix:
1 lb ground pork
1 minced clove garlic
1/2ish cup grated parmesan (maybe less? I didn't measure)
a couple pinches salt
a bunch of black pepper

Heat some olive oil in a skillet.

Roll the meat lightly into golf balls without mashing them up or compacting them too hard.

Plop the meatballs in the olive oil, letting them brown on one side before rotating them around so all sides get brown (tongs!) By the time all the sides of all the meatballs are brown and crispy (a little of the cheese will melt out too and crust up nicely) they should be done inside. Plus all the fat from the pork will render out into the olive oil until they're frying in their own fat. . . mmmmmmm.

I wilted some spinach with garlic, a little heavy cream and parmesan to go with the meatballs. Beautiful, beautiful food.

Until this morning. I felt the stiffness start creeping up in my left hand until by noon it was noticeably sore to bend it back and forth. By 2:00 my range of motion was at about half, and now at 4:30 it's excruciating to move my hand out of a neutral position. Arghh. And there are leftover meatballs in the fridge that I was REALLY looking forward to eating!!

But no. Instead, I am angrily eating marshmallow/coconut fruit salad directly out of the tupperware and hoping my wrist feels better in the next 24 hours. Although, from past flare ups, it'll probably be Wednesday or Thursday before it's back to normal. I miss red meat. Lamb was okay, but it's so freaking expensive. Sigh. Well, if anyone wants my leftover meatballs, they're yours.

2 comments:

  1. Just curious...have you tried buffalo meat?

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh...i have not. bison are related to cows kind of, i think..but dude, i totally will. solid suggestion.

    ReplyDelete