Wednesday, December 1, 2010

We prefer ridiculous.

To continue with a review of last week's holiday celebrations...

I was in Hagerstown, Maryland with my family and my mom's family. My Uncle Chris lives in California, and because he wasn't able to make it home for Thanksgiving, joined us by video chat. We stayed at my aunt's house, my Nana and my uncle live up the street. In theory, if we had wanted to include the whole family in a conversation, we could readily have gotten all the Boyers and the Andersens in one room, and had Uncle Chris on the video chat. But my family doesn't like to do things logically. We prefer more ridiculous.


Here we have two computers and one telephone. Me and dad are video chatting with Hannah, my Aunt Amanda, and my cousin Zoe on two different laptops across the table. Nana is on the video chat from up the street with both of us, and my Uncle Sean (red sweater) is on the phone with Nana. Chris, off in California, is the ONLY ONE for whom a video chat is the most sensible way to communicate.

I'm not sure if this is an improvement on last year, when Chris's disembodied, digitalized head joined us on the dining room table for Thanksgiving dinner. I believe we took a family photo with his video-chatted face included in the shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment