Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Dear King George III

We've been going through the Declaration of Independence, and the build-up to the Revolutionary War this past week. Today, our third block had the option of writing letters to King George "breaking up" with him, or writing their own "Declaration of Independence" from something they didn't want to be involved with anymore. Our kids' might have shaky writing skills, but they're funny, and smart as hell, and this assignment made me love them even more:

dear king george,
we gave been together for some time now and i'm sorry to tell you this but I am splitting up from you. With all the ridiculous acts you've been creating is messing up my life. Especially, the Quartering Act why would you let some random soldier come to my house and eat, sleep, and shit. Just about a week ago some White soldier who didn't have any boots came to my house telling me to buy him boots.

Dear King George
I have had enough for your total B.S.! You don't pay any attention to me. I do everything you ask and when i slip you you want to start to tax us and make us pay extra for little things. The quartering law you just passed could have been your saddest attempt yet. You have no idea how many nights I have had to give up my bed for some dirty, stinky soldier who has a bad snoring Problem and tried to clean out my entire kitchen cause of his overly hungry appitite.
Dear King George III
Im breaking up with your government because, the laws you make are so harsh; one of them is the Quartering Act, I don't want no dirty Soilder comming to sleep in my bed. I want to sleep with comfort with my women.

And here are a few "Declarations of Independence":
[written by one of our Vietnamese students]
I want to be Free in my life is Freedom of my country, because in my country they don't let us go to church. And to do whatever we want they control everyting. Like if you want to go to another country, you have to ask permission from them and them why? And they take control Religion they like us to go to church and they want us to do like what they do. And we have to listen to them. And if you go to church and they catch it they take to the police office and ask some question or take you to jail.

Cartoons I grew up up with you. Having you there every morning with my Bowl of cereal. But now I'm getting older an now I juzt think your for littel Babys But Don't Think That it's just you my cartoon Tite whites got to go to ok bye
The last one is my favorite. Took me a second to decode it, but yes, I think that's supposed to be "tighty whiteys."

1 comment:

  1. Oh. My. Gosh. I really dug the first one. Why should a citizen have to buy some random soldier new boots? He/She has a point.

    ReplyDelete