Friday, September 2, 2011

"Oh my god Stalonda"


We learned about diversity and multiculturalism the other day in my Civics and Econ class. As part of their homework, I asked them to imagine they were moving to another country and then write an email or facebook message to a friend, telling them what parts of their culture or identity they would change or keep when they moved. I told them to imagine going someplace very different than America. These were some of my favorite responses:

“Oh my god Stalonda, down here the girls suppose to cover up everything but their eyes. I’m like so we can’t show our legs or arms. We not even suppose to speak to the male. I feel like this is a situation that you can get killed if you don’t follow this rules. I will follow the top rules, but as far as my mother cooking changing that not happened. Were not going to be be sitting down here eaten goat when we can still it hamburger. The boy are fine but to bad I can’t talk to them. Well girl I’m out and home to hear from you.”

One girl drew the facebook logo, and then wrote this:

“Heey girl! Smh. Ima miss you! I’m probably gonna have to wear those long body covering things they have those girls wear in Afghanistan! Lmao. I’m lying! I’m not wearing that! But I think I have to learn a different language & change how I act! Man, I don’t wanna go! Text me!”

“Hey, I’m leaving tommorow and I just wanted to remind you. I can’t wait to get to Congo. I plan on just remaining the same fun-spirited person that I am.”

“So I’m going to Saudi Arabia. I guess I’m going to have to learn Arabic. I’m not gonna change how I dress…hopefully the Taliban won’t come after me. Maybe their culture will be really cool.”

“Okay so living here is so strick…I can’t even ask a girl out without paying here parents 10,000 dollars 'as a gift' I cant really express myself as I did in the US. So I must of corse learn arbric and not use curse words…not that I ever did (like once or twice). I miss the USA.”

No comments:

Post a Comment