Monday, July 11, 2011

White blazes in my own backyard!

Or at least they're within two hours of the backyard I grew up in.

I'm at home in Delaware for a short visit, and since everyone had to work today, I drove out to Berks County, Pennsylvania this morning to find the Appalachian Trail and do a short little hike - only five miles total. The trip served two main purposes. First, after spending a lot of last week in a car, I felt I needed to remind my legs what it's like to hike so that when I set out in August to do another week or so (this time up in VA/MD), I'm not starting from scratch and hating the first 20 miles like I did last time. Secondly, I took 476 up to PA, and 476 conveniently runs through Conshohoken, where the closest REI is located. I wanted to pick up a couple things before Hannah and I venture to the Firefly Gathering on Wednesday.

I also picked up trekking poles!! On my hike two weeks ago me and Jill scrounged up walking sticks after seeing everyone else happily chugging along with fancy-looking trekking poles. I'd always thought the poles were for old people and Europeans (I remember the Austrians walking around parks with them). I was totally wrong. Having four points of impact, essentially four "legs," makes climbing up and down mountains a lot easier. You have better balance, better shock absorption, you get a good rhythm going, and your hands don't get all puffy and swollen from hanging useless at your sides. I got the kids' version. They were 30 bucks cheaper, several ounces lighter, and have a cool snake painted on them.
My mini-hike was lovely. The point I hiked up to is at a relatively low elevation (1200-something feet, I think?) and the forest was more open to sun, and drier, and it was 80-90 degrees out - so it felt really hot. The stretch I hiked went past the Windsor Furnace shelter in Berks County Park. I missed the darker, cooler forest I found in NC two weeks ago, but it was also kind of cool to hike in landscape that looks a little more like the area I grew up in.

It was unpleasantly hot and sunny at Pulpit Rock, but the view was worth it. I ran into a couple south bound thru hikers. We traded taking pictures of each other. One of the guys was just settling into a mushroom trip, after having been given some by "some random guy down the trail." He was enjoying his afternoon.

Some kind soul thought to install an umbrella for shade.

No comments:

Post a Comment