Sunday, August 8, 2010

Mrs. Tittlemouse?

I might have some friends living under my apartment.
I noticed this suspicious-looking and rather mouse-sized hole today on my back porch entrance. I'm not sure how a mouse chews through brick, but I suppose given the 70 years the building has been here, maybe it's possible through the combined efforts of multiple generations...?
Since it's an exterior wall, not my screen porch, and the hole appears to go underneath the apartment, not into the apartment, I have no plans to disrupt anyone's cozy home. We get little mice in the house in Delaware sometimes - they're kind of adorable and are really just little Beatrix Potter characters as far as I'm concerned. As long as they stay out of my kitchen and out of my food, they're welcome to live in my foundation. I left some Cheerios by the hole to see if something comes and takes them. Yes, that's the kind of thing you do when you're nine, but there's not much for wildlife around my apartment, and mysterious animal visitors haven't yet lost their appeal for me. Unless I'm camping. I don't leave out food for bears because they scare the crap out of me. But I'll take a mouse or two over a house centipede any day of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment